For foreign national to stay in Japan to live or to work, a visa (residence status) is required.
Types of visas (status of residence)
- Work visa
A work visa is required in order to work in Japan.
- Visa of status
This type of visa is for a spouse of a Japanese national, a family member of a foreigner working in Japan, or a person of Japanese descent.
- Visa for students/trainees
This type of visa is for foreigners to study in Japan or companies to invite foreigners to Japan astrainees.
- Permanent residence, naturalization
For foreigners who want to acquire permanent residence or obtain Japanese nationality.
Please leave it to us!
Procedures for acquiring a visa (status of residence)
- Application for short-stay visa This type of visa is generally known as a tourist visa.
- Application for a certificate of eligibility for status of residence This application is for inviting a foreigner to Japan.
- Application for change of status of residence This application is for acquiring a status of residence different from the current one.
- Application for extension of status of residence This application is for extending the period of a current residence status.
- Application for permanent residence This application is for a foreigner, staying in Japan for a certain period, to acquire a right of permanent residence.
- Application for naturalization This application is for a foreigner, staying in Japan for a certain period of time, to obtain Japanese nationality.
- Application for a certificate of authorized employment This application is for a foreigner to confirm the legitimacy of a change of employment.
- Application for provisional release This application is for a foreigner, detained by the Immigration office for staying in Japan illegally, to be released provisionally.